Important COVID-19 Updates: For the most current information, please click here.

Sign up for emergency alerts

Starting a Business in Glendale

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Start with creating a business plan. Information on how to create a business plan can be found at your local library or at Glendale Community College. Additional resources are available at the Small Business Development Center by calling (818) 552-3321.

A fictitious business name (also known as a "DBA") is needed. The Glendale News-Press has applications available for a small fee and can help you complete the process. The Glendale News-Press is located in downtown Los Angeles at 202 W. 1st St., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Their telephone number is (818) 637-3200 extension 208. Applications can also be submitted at a Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk branch office. For more information, click here.

Select a site. Determine zoning requirements and secure any special zoning clearances. Contact the City of Glendale Community Development Department at (818) 548-2140 for more information.

Obtain a business permit: Every business in the City of Glendale must register with the City, prior to opening, by obtaining a Business Registration Certificate (BRC). For more information on how to apply for and obtain a BRC, click here. Applications are now being accepted online or by mail only. If you wish to open a business located inside your home, you will need to obtain a “Home Occupation Permit” which can be applied for by contacting the Planning Division at (818) 548-2115.

It is very strongly encouraged that before you commit to a location for your future business, you visit the Building & Safety’s Permit Services Center at 633 E. Broadway, Suite 101 between the hours of 7am and 12pm and speak with City staff. Staff members from various Departments and Divisions will be able to provide you with a history of the space you are interested in as well as advise you on potential needs for improvement, additional licenses/permits, etc.